Sunday, January 31, 2010

Egypt won, let's get over it and focus on more important issues


I'm really really really ecstatic Egypt won! I screamed, I jumped, I update my facebook status and 'liked' everyone's status on my friend's list who wrote about Egypt's victory. I even changed my pictures on FB to Egypt-related. Okay. Now what? Third time in a row champions. Very nice. 7 time winner. Excellent. So ... Again, now what? I think it's awesome that Egyptians every where are celebrating, and especially in Egypt itself, Egyptians are laughing, being happy, cheering, and having that pride-filled sentiment.

Unfortunately everything comes to an end. We won. The End. Now let's focus on more important issues, such as that flood that happened in Egypt, that no one seems to be noticing. And that the Egyptian election is coming up and people need to know more information about who is running. I find that soccer and sports can some times be a relief to all the hardship that's going on in one's country.

I mean, yes Egypt has accomplished a lot, but in reality, it's on a pretty low scale compared to other countries. If people were more enthusiastic about overthrowing corrupt governments, poverty, injustice, imagine how amazing Egypt should be? Egypt still deserves to celebrate, the people need a little break and past time and that's healthy. And it's also wonderful that Egyptians of all social levels and religions all cheer for that one team and celebrate together.

I just think they shouldn't celebrate for too long and no not move on with their lives -- but move on to other more crucial issues in the country. I love Egypt with all my heart. And one of the goals of this blog is to not criticize my country, but to encourage others to take MORE steps in making it a better country.

Congratulations Egypt, you deserved it, and he team made us all proud. But let us always stay proud of who we are, regardless of whether or not we win a soccer game, and to strive to make Egypt a better place. I'll end with this quote in a New York Time's article that just came out, title Soccer Gains Ground on Politics In Gaza Strip: "When people ... cannot find solutions to their political problems, they shift their interest to movies and sports. Sports have become a prime interest," he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2010/01/31/sports/sports-uk-soccer-nations-palestinians.html

No comments:

Post a Comment